Registry Backups

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2000
      RS, Harvey, Bill, Alice and others who responded to my problem with MS Money

      Starting a new thread because my focus now shifts to Registry backup now
      that the initial problem is over.

      What is the purpose of the "C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\"
      folder? In my case, it contains 68 folders using 75 MB of storage. Some of
      the folders seem to contain complete applications with DLLs, executables,
      and data. I don't recognize many of the entries.

      What is the consensus on using the ERU.EXE program? Is it safe to use?

      I'd like to see the Registry backup batch files. I don't tinker much with
      the Registry.

      Thanks for all the help from so many concerned individuals.

      Ray Shapp
    • RS
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        At 01:04 PM 10/20/00 -0400, you wrote:

        >I'd like to see the Registry backup batch files. I don't tinker much with
        the Registry.

        It is wise not to (tinker) <g>

        I thought you'd find more comfortable to make your backups from NoteTab
        than from a DOS window, so here's a Clip to do it in the meantime (until I
        have the time to convert my program for general use). I uploaded the
        package in case someone else might be interested:

        http://home.att.net/~ptools/main/download/RegRestore.zip

        To restore the registry, use one of the included batch files from DOS (real
        DOS). Instructions are included with the files.

        I use to keep a note on my desk, detailing when each backup was made and
        the circumstances that originated it. So in case Windows won't boot I can
        always tell which backup is best to restore.

        Regards,

        RS