Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
      Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

      >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
      >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
      >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
      >
      >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
      >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
      >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
      >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
      >least 8 times or more.

      I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
      similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
      "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
      /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
      default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
      which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
      this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
      have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
      the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
      "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

      Hope this helps,

      Regards, Bill
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
        Hi Bill,

        Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
        manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
        Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
        backup anytime I choose.

        For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
        installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
        incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
        reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
        were made.

        hrs

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage