Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
      Ray wrote:
      > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
      > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
      > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
      > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
      > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
      > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
      > trouble.

      LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

      alice ttlg

      If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
      for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
      ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
      Kierkegaard
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
        Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

        >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
        >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
        >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
        >
        >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
        >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
        >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
        >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
        >least 8 times or more.

        I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
        similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
        "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
        /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
        default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
        which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
        this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
        have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
        the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
        "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

        Hope this helps,

        Regards, Bill
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
          Hi Bill,

          Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
          manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
          Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
          backup anytime I choose.

          For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
          installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
          incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
          reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
          were made.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage