Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
      To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

      The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
      in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
      success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

      Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
      at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
      accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
      files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
      program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
      I previously described.

      I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
      because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
      business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
      the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
      her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
      I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
      trouble.

      The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

      Thanks for all your help.

      Ray Shapp
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
        Ray wrote:
        > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
        > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
        > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
        > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
        > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
        > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
        > trouble.

        LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

        alice ttlg

        If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
        for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
        ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
        Kierkegaard
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
          Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

          >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
          >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
          >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
          >
          >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
          >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
          >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
          >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
          >least 8 times or more.

          I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
          similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
          "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
          /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
          default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
          which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
          this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
          have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
          the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
          "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

          Hope this helps,

          Regards, Bill
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
            Hi Bill,

            Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
            manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
            Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
            backup anytime I choose.

            For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
            installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
            incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
            reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
            were made.

            hrs

            --
            ¿? Harvey R. Savage