Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • RS
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
      Hi Harvey,

      At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
      >
      >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
      >good,

      Just common sense...

      > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
      >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

      That was me, and at that time. <g>

      Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
      the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
      actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
      crashed my computer!)

      Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
      and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
      will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
      post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
      creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
      well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

      And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
      have to take another look some time.

      >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
      >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
      >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
      >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
      >least 8 times or more.
      >
      >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
      >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
      >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
      >disk.

      Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

      > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
      >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
      >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
      >copy.

      Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

      Regards,

      RS
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
        To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

        The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
        in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
        success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

        Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
        at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
        accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
        files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
        program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
        I previously described.

        I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
        because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
        business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
        the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
        her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
        I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
        trouble.

        The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

        Thanks for all your help.

        Ray Shapp
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
          Ray wrote:
          > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
          > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
          > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
          > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
          > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
          > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
          > trouble.

          LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

          alice ttlg

          If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
          for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
          ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
          Kierkegaard
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
            Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

            >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
            >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
            >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
            >
            >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
            >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
            >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
            >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
            >least 8 times or more.

            I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
            similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
            "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
            /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
            default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
            which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
            this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
            have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
            the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
            "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

            Hope this helps,

            Regards, Bill
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
              Hi Bill,

              Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
              manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
              Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
              backup anytime I choose.

              For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
              installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
              incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
              reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
              were made.

              hrs

              --
              ¿? Harvey R. Savage