Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
      Hello Ray, Alice and RS,

      This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
      good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
      almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

      My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
      backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
      the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
      complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
      least 8 times or more.

      I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
      doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
      times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
      disk. I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
      after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
      to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
      copy.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
        Hi Harvey,

        At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
        >
        >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
        >good,

        Just common sense...

        > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
        >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

        That was me, and at that time. <g>

        Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
        the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
        actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
        crashed my computer!)

        Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
        and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
        will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
        post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
        creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
        well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

        And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
        have to take another look some time.

        >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
        >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
        >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
        >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
        >least 8 times or more.
        >
        >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
        >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
        >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
        >disk.

        Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

        > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
        >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
        >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
        >copy.

        Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

        Regards,

        RS
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
          To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

          The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
          in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
          success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

          Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
          at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
          accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
          files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
          program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
          I previously described.

          I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
          because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
          business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
          the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
          her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
          I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
          trouble.

          The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

          Thanks for all your help.

          Ray Shapp
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
            Ray wrote:
            > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
            > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
            > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
            > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
            > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
            > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
            > trouble.

            LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

            alice ttlg

            If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
            for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
            ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
            Kierkegaard
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
              Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

              >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
              >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
              >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
              >
              >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
              >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
              >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
              >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
              >least 8 times or more.

              I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
              similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
              "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
              /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
              default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
              which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
              this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
              have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
              the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
              "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

              Hope this helps,

              Regards, Bill
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                Hi Bill,

                Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
                manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
                Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
                backup anytime I choose.

                For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
                installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
                incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
                reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
                were made.

                hrs

                --
                ¿? Harvey R. Savage