Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
      > I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
      > When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating
      chokes
      > with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Oh! I misunderstood, I thought new data files were working fine but if
      they're getting caught by that corrupted call, then a new one won't help.

      So next, I'd try restoring that backup and see if that will work.

      And I know you've tried a bunch of things, but I forget if you've tried
      uninstalling MS Money and reinstalling? and then restore that backup file?
      Because I'm thinking that even with restoring the backup data file, the
      interrupted call may be in some log file somewhere in the software, not just
      in the data file. But uninstalling and reinstalling and then restoring
      backup data file might clear everything out.

      And if you've tried uninstall/reinstall and it still chokes....sheesh! I've
      run into software glitches like that and it's a major pita getting it to
      work again.

      alice ttlg

      I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's
      just as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he
      said, "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
      architecture." -- Playing By Heart
    • RS
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        At 01:41 PM 10/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi RS
        >
        >Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
        >Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
        >after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
        >occurs.

        Sorry I cannot be of more help, since I do not have MSMoney, and therefore
        not a chance of having experienced the same problem.

        I agree with Alice and Harvey's suggestions: a reinstall seems to be the
        way to go. But before doing it, you should back up your current registry
        and make a zipped backup of the MSMoney folder and the "C:\Program
        Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folder, if you have it. That way, if
        something goes bad with the reinstall, you might be able to go back to the
        previous status.

        With regards to the ERU program to make registry backups, I tried it once
        and it crashed my system, so I wouldn't recommend it. You probably already
        have a way to do and restore registry backups, but if you don't, let me
        know and I can send you a couple batch files that make backing the registry
        a no brainer.

        Best regards,

        RS
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
          Hello Ray, Alice and RS,

          This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
          good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
          almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

          My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
          backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
          the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
          complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
          least 8 times or more.

          I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
          doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
          times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
          disk. I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
          after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
          to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
          copy.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
            Hi Harvey,

            At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
            >
            >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
            >good,

            Just common sense...

            > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
            >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

            That was me, and at that time. <g>

            Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
            the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
            actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
            crashed my computer!)

            Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
            and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
            will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
            post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
            creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
            well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

            And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
            have to take another look some time.

            >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
            >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
            >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
            >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
            >least 8 times or more.
            >
            >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
            >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
            >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
            >disk.

            Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

            > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
            >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
            >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
            >copy.

            Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

            Regards,

            RS
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
              To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

              The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
              in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
              success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

              Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
              at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
              accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
              files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
              program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
              I previously described.

              I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
              because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
              business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
              the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
              her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
              I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
              trouble.

              The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

              Thanks for all your help.

              Ray Shapp
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                Ray wrote:
                > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                > trouble.

                LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

                alice ttlg

                If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
                for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
                ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
                Kierkegaard
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                  Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

                  >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                  >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                  >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
                  >
                  >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                  >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                  >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                  >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                  >least 8 times or more.

                  I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
                  similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
                  "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
                  /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
                  default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
                  which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
                  this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
                  have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
                  the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
                  "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Regards, Bill
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                    Hi Bill,

                    Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
                    manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
                    Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
                    backup anytime I choose.

                    For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
                    installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
                    incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
                    reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
                    were made.

                    hrs

                    --
                    ¿? Harvey R. Savage