Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
      Hi Alice

      I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
      When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating chokes
      with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.

      Ray Shapp
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        If you are using Win95 or Win98 you should find a copy of Win95b
        utility, ERU.EXE. This is to make a backup of your current
        working registry and support files.

        Once you have backed up the system files and also the MSMoney
        backups you might want to try uninstalling MSMoney and the use
        Regedit or another 3rd party registry editing tool and being very
        careful, prune any reference to MSMoney from your registry.

        After that reboot and reinstall MSMoney, put the Money backup
        files back into the appropriate folder if necessary (uninstall
        programs usually don't delete user initiated files)

        If it happens that you can't reboot (that's what ERU.EXE, the
        registry backup program is for. You can boot into DOS, change to
        the ERD folder, that's the default name for the backup utility,
        and restore your system files. At this point won't be much worse
        off than when you started, so try reinstalling MSMoney.

        Good Luck,

        hrs,

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
          > I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
          > When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating
          chokes
          > with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          Oh! I misunderstood, I thought new data files were working fine but if
          they're getting caught by that corrupted call, then a new one won't help.

          So next, I'd try restoring that backup and see if that will work.

          And I know you've tried a bunch of things, but I forget if you've tried
          uninstalling MS Money and reinstalling? and then restore that backup file?
          Because I'm thinking that even with restoring the backup data file, the
          interrupted call may be in some log file somewhere in the software, not just
          in the data file. But uninstalling and reinstalling and then restoring
          backup data file might clear everything out.

          And if you've tried uninstall/reinstall and it still chokes....sheesh! I've
          run into software glitches like that and it's a major pita getting it to
          work again.

          alice ttlg

          I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's
          just as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he
          said, "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
          architecture." -- Playing By Heart
        • RS
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
            Hi Ray,

            At 01:41 PM 10/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
            >Hi RS
            >
            >Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
            >Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
            >after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
            >occurs.

            Sorry I cannot be of more help, since I do not have MSMoney, and therefore
            not a chance of having experienced the same problem.

            I agree with Alice and Harvey's suggestions: a reinstall seems to be the
            way to go. But before doing it, you should back up your current registry
            and make a zipped backup of the MSMoney folder and the "C:\Program
            Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folder, if you have it. That way, if
            something goes bad with the reinstall, you might be able to go back to the
            previous status.

            With regards to the ERU program to make registry backups, I tried it once
            and it crashed my system, so I wouldn't recommend it. You probably already
            have a way to do and restore registry backups, but if you don't, let me
            know and I can send you a couple batch files that make backing the registry
            a no brainer.

            Best regards,

            RS
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
              Hello Ray, Alice and RS,

              This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
              good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
              almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

              My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
              backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
              the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
              complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
              least 8 times or more.

              I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
              doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
              times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
              disk. I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
              after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
              to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
              copy.

              hrs

              --
              ¿? Harvey R. Savage
              ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                Hi Harvey,

                At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
                >
                >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                >good,

                Just common sense...

                > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

                That was me, and at that time. <g>

                Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
                the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
                actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
                crashed my computer!)

                Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
                and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
                will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
                post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
                creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
                well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

                And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
                have to take another look some time.

                >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                >least 8 times or more.
                >
                >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
                >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
                >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
                >disk.

                Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

                > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
                >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
                >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
                >copy.

                Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

                Regards,

                RS
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                  To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

                  The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
                  in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
                  success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

                  Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
                  at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
                  accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
                  files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
                  program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
                  I previously described.

                  I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                  because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                  business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                  the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                  her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                  I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                  trouble.

                  The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

                  Thanks for all your help.

                  Ray Shapp
                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                    Ray wrote:
                    > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                    > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                    > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                    > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                    > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                    > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                    > trouble.

                    LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

                    alice ttlg

                    If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
                    for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
                    ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
                    Kierkegaard
                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                      Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

                      >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                      >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                      >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
                      >
                      >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                      >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                      >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                      >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                      >least 8 times or more.

                      I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
                      similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
                      "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
                      /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
                      default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
                      which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
                      this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
                      have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
                      the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
                      "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Regards, Bill
                    • Harvey R. Savage
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                        Hi Bill,

                        Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
                        manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
                        Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
                        backup anytime I choose.

                        For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
                        installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
                        incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
                        reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
                        were made.

                        hrs

                        --
                        ¿? Harvey R. Savage