Re: [NTO] Microsoft Money

  • RS
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
      Hi Ray,

      At 04:26 PM 10/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
      >Hello List:
      >
      >A call for automated quotes was interrupted while I was using Microsoft
      >Money 98 Version 6.0. Now when I try to get online quotes, an advisory
      >message says, "A prior call to Online Quotes was interrupted and must be
      >completed before other online tasks can be done. Do you want to complete
      >the call now?"
      >
      >When I click on Yes, the call is made and a progress screen shows MS Money
      >is "Initializing and contacting server", but then I get the error message
      >that says, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
      >down." Clicking on Details, it shows that MSMONEY caused an invalid page
      >fault in module <unknown>.
      >
      >Does anyone have a suggestion for canceling the interrupted call?

      Try closing the program and starting again. See if the problem persists. If
      it's still there, then you might need to restart the computer.

      That's the obvious solution when problems arise with most applications. It
      should work in your case. But it could also be a corrupt file.

      Another idea: The message says "Initializing and contacting server". Is
      there a properly configured server? Are you online?

      HTH

      Regards,

      RS
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
        Hi RS

        Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
        Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
        after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
        occurs.

        What I need is some way to cancel what the programs believes to be a viable
        call in progress or, alternately, a way to allow the interrupted call to go
        to completion.

        Once, a long time ago, the MS server that supplies the online quotes had a
        problem and I got the same error messages. All my other online activities
        (using other programs) continued to work fine, but the MS Money program kept
        failing because of the "call in progress". After about an hour, without any
        corrective actions on my part, when the MS quote server came back online,
        the call resumed (when I re-ran the program) and I haven't had any trouble
        since -- until the current glitch. This problem has been with me for
        almost a week now. I can't believe the server has been down for all this
        time.

        TIA

        Ray Shapp
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
          > Once, a long time ago, the MS server that supplies the online quotes had a
          > problem and I got the same error messages. All my other online activities
          > (using other programs) continued to work fine, but the MS Money program
          kept
          > failing because of the "call in progress". After about an hour, without
          any
          > corrective actions on my part, when the MS quote server came back online,
          > the call resumed (when I re-ran the program) and I haven't had any trouble
          > since -- until the current glitch. This problem has been with me for
          > almost a week now. I can't believe the server has been down for all this
          > time.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          While I don't use MS Money, I agree that it's highly unlikely the server's
          been for that long. It sounds to me like the file is corrupted and that no
          matter what, that call will never complete. You said that you could set up
          another portfolio(?), perhaps that's the best way to go, recreate your
          stocks in a new portfolio. Does the other one have historical data in it,
          that you'll lose? Do you possibly have a backup of the file? or if you set
          up a new portfolio, will it download historical data when you call for
          updates?

          Sorry I can't be much help.

          alice ttlg

          I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's
          just as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he
          said, "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
          architecture." -- Playing By Heart
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
            Hi Alice

            I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
            When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating chokes
            with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.

            Ray Shapp
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
              Hi Ray,

              If you are using Win95 or Win98 you should find a copy of Win95b
              utility, ERU.EXE. This is to make a backup of your current
              working registry and support files.

              Once you have backed up the system files and also the MSMoney
              backups you might want to try uninstalling MSMoney and the use
              Regedit or another 3rd party registry editing tool and being very
              careful, prune any reference to MSMoney from your registry.

              After that reboot and reinstall MSMoney, put the Money backup
              files back into the appropriate folder if necessary (uninstall
              programs usually don't delete user initiated files)

              If it happens that you can't reboot (that's what ERU.EXE, the
              registry backup program is for. You can boot into DOS, change to
              the ERD folder, that's the default name for the backup utility,
              and restore your system files. At this point won't be much worse
              off than when you started, so try reinstalling MSMoney.

              Good Luck,

              hrs,

              --
              ¿? Harvey R. Savage
              ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
                > I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
                > When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating
                chokes
                > with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.
                >
                > Ray Shapp

                Oh! I misunderstood, I thought new data files were working fine but if
                they're getting caught by that corrupted call, then a new one won't help.

                So next, I'd try restoring that backup and see if that will work.

                And I know you've tried a bunch of things, but I forget if you've tried
                uninstalling MS Money and reinstalling? and then restore that backup file?
                Because I'm thinking that even with restoring the backup data file, the
                interrupted call may be in some log file somewhere in the software, not just
                in the data file. But uninstalling and reinstalling and then restoring
                backup data file might clear everything out.

                And if you've tried uninstall/reinstall and it still chokes....sheesh! I've
                run into software glitches like that and it's a major pita getting it to
                work again.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                  Hi Ray,

                  At 01:41 PM 10/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Hi RS
                  >
                  >Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
                  >Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
                  >after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
                  >occurs.

                  Sorry I cannot be of more help, since I do not have MSMoney, and therefore
                  not a chance of having experienced the same problem.

                  I agree with Alice and Harvey's suggestions: a reinstall seems to be the
                  way to go. But before doing it, you should back up your current registry
                  and make a zipped backup of the MSMoney folder and the "C:\Program
                  Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folder, if you have it. That way, if
                  something goes bad with the reinstall, you might be able to go back to the
                  previous status.

                  With regards to the ERU program to make registry backups, I tried it once
                  and it crashed my system, so I wouldn't recommend it. You probably already
                  have a way to do and restore registry backups, but if you don't, let me
                  know and I can send you a couple batch files that make backing the registry
                  a no brainer.

                  Best regards,

                  RS
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                    Hello Ray, Alice and RS,

                    This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                    good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                    almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

                    My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                    backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                    the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                    complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                    least 8 times or more.

                    I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
                    doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
                    times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
                    disk. I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
                    after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
                    to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
                    copy.

                    hrs

                    --
                    ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                    ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                      Hi Harvey,

                      At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
                      >
                      >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                      >good,

                      Just common sense...

                      > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                      >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

                      That was me, and at that time. <g>

                      Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
                      the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
                      actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
                      crashed my computer!)

                      Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
                      and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
                      will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
                      post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
                      creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
                      well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

                      And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
                      have to take another look some time.

                      >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                      >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                      >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                      >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                      >least 8 times or more.
                      >
                      >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
                      >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
                      >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
                      >disk.

                      Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

                      > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
                      >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
                      >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
                      >copy.

                      Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

                      Regards,

                      RS
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                        To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

                        The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
                        in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
                        success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

                        Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
                        at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
                        accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
                        files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
                        program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
                        I previously described.

                        I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                        because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                        business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                        the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                        her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                        I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                        trouble.

                        The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

                        Thanks for all your help.

                        Ray Shapp
                      • alice ttlg
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                          Ray wrote:
                          > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                          > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                          > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                          > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                          > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                          > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                          > trouble.

                          LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

                          alice ttlg

                          If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
                          for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
                          ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
                          Kierkegaard
                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                            Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

                            >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                            >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                            >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
                            >
                            >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                            >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                            >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                            >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                            >least 8 times or more.

                            I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
                            similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
                            "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
                            /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
                            default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
                            which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
                            this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
                            have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
                            the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
                            "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

                            Hope this helps,

                            Regards, Bill
                          • Harvey R. Savage
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                              Hi Bill,

                              Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
                              manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
                              Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
                              backup anytime I choose.

                              For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
                              installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
                              incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
                              reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
                              were made.

                              hrs

                              --
                              ¿? Harvey R. Savage