Microsoft Money

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2000
      Hello List:

      A call for automated quotes was interrupted while I was using Microsoft
      Money 98 Version 6.0. Now when I try to get online quotes, an advisory
      message says, "A prior call to Online Quotes was interrupted and must be
      completed before other online tasks can be done. Do you want to complete
      the call now?"

      When I click on Yes, the call is made and a progress screen shows MS Money
      is "Initializing and contacting server", but then I get the error message
      that says, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
      down." Clicking on Details, it shows that MSMONEY caused an invalid page
      fault in module <unknown>.

      Does anyone have a suggestion for canceling the interrupted call?

      The remaining functions of MS Money seem to be working ok. It even allows
      me to create a new (test) account and it correctly gets online quotes for
      some test stocks.

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
    • RS
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        At 04:26 PM 10/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hello List:
        >
        >A call for automated quotes was interrupted while I was using Microsoft
        >Money 98 Version 6.0. Now when I try to get online quotes, an advisory
        >message says, "A prior call to Online Quotes was interrupted and must be
        >completed before other online tasks can be done. Do you want to complete
        >the call now?"
        >
        >When I click on Yes, the call is made and a progress screen shows MS Money
        >is "Initializing and contacting server", but then I get the error message
        >that says, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
        >down." Clicking on Details, it shows that MSMONEY caused an invalid page
        >fault in module <unknown>.
        >
        >Does anyone have a suggestion for canceling the interrupted call?

        Try closing the program and starting again. See if the problem persists. If
        it's still there, then you might need to restart the computer.

        That's the obvious solution when problems arise with most applications. It
        should work in your case. But it could also be a corrupt file.

        Another idea: The message says "Initializing and contacting server". Is
        there a properly configured server? Are you online?

        HTH

        Regards,

        RS
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
          Hi RS

          Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
          Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
          after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
          occurs.

          What I need is some way to cancel what the programs believes to be a viable
          call in progress or, alternately, a way to allow the interrupted call to go
          to completion.

          Once, a long time ago, the MS server that supplies the online quotes had a
          problem and I got the same error messages. All my other online activities
          (using other programs) continued to work fine, but the MS Money program kept
          failing because of the "call in progress". After about an hour, without any
          corrective actions on my part, when the MS quote server came back online,
          the call resumed (when I re-ran the program) and I haven't had any trouble
          since -- until the current glitch. This problem has been with me for
          almost a week now. I can't believe the server has been down for all this
          time.

          TIA

          Ray Shapp
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
            > Once, a long time ago, the MS server that supplies the online quotes had a
            > problem and I got the same error messages. All my other online activities
            > (using other programs) continued to work fine, but the MS Money program
            kept
            > failing because of the "call in progress". After about an hour, without
            any
            > corrective actions on my part, when the MS quote server came back online,
            > the call resumed (when I re-ran the program) and I haven't had any trouble
            > since -- until the current glitch. This problem has been with me for
            > almost a week now. I can't believe the server has been down for all this
            > time.
            >
            > Ray Shapp

            While I don't use MS Money, I agree that it's highly unlikely the server's
            been for that long. It sounds to me like the file is corrupted and that no
            matter what, that call will never complete. You said that you could set up
            another portfolio(?), perhaps that's the best way to go, recreate your
            stocks in a new portfolio. Does the other one have historical data in it,
            that you'll lose? Do you possibly have a backup of the file? or if you set
            up a new portfolio, will it download historical data when you call for
            updates?

            Sorry I can't be much help.

            alice ttlg

            I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's
            just as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he
            said, "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
            architecture." -- Playing By Heart
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
              Hi Alice

              I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
              When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating chokes
              with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.

              Ray Shapp
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
                Hi Ray,

                If you are using Win95 or Win98 you should find a copy of Win95b
                utility, ERU.EXE. This is to make a backup of your current
                working registry and support files.

                Once you have backed up the system files and also the MSMoney
                backups you might want to try uninstalling MSMoney and the use
                Regedit or another 3rd party registry editing tool and being very
                careful, prune any reference to MSMoney from your registry.

                After that reboot and reinstall MSMoney, put the Money backup
                files back into the appropriate folder if necessary (uninstall
                programs usually don't delete user initiated files)

                If it happens that you can't reboot (that's what ERU.EXE, the
                registry backup program is for. You can boot into DOS, change to
                the ERD folder, that's the default name for the backup utility,
                and restore your system files. At this point won't be much worse
                off than when you started, so try reinstalling MSMoney.

                Good Luck,

                hrs,

                --
                ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 14, 2000
                  > I have very recent backup and I don't think I'll lose any historical data.
                  > When I try to get quotes for any new data files, the online updating
                  chokes
                  > with the same messages. I really need a way to cancel the call.
                  >
                  > Ray Shapp

                  Oh! I misunderstood, I thought new data files were working fine but if
                  they're getting caught by that corrupted call, then a new one won't help.

                  So next, I'd try restoring that backup and see if that will work.

                  And I know you've tried a bunch of things, but I forget if you've tried
                  uninstalling MS Money and reinstalling? and then restore that backup file?
                  Because I'm thinking that even with restoring the backup data file, the
                  interrupted call may be in some log file somewhere in the software, not just
                  in the data file. But uninstalling and reinstalling and then restoring
                  backup data file might clear everything out.

                  And if you've tried uninstall/reinstall and it still chokes....sheesh! I've
                  run into software glitches like that and it's a major pita getting it to
                  work again.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                    Hi Ray,

                    At 01:41 PM 10/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Hi RS
                    >
                    >Long before I even contemplated sending out my request for advice on the MS
                    >Money problem, I shut down all programs and also the computer and rebooted
                    >after doing a scan disk and a defrag. Yes, I'm online when the problem
                    >occurs.

                    Sorry I cannot be of more help, since I do not have MSMoney, and therefore
                    not a chance of having experienced the same problem.

                    I agree with Alice and Harvey's suggestions: a reinstall seems to be the
                    way to go. But before doing it, you should back up your current registry
                    and make a zipped backup of the MSMoney folder and the "C:\Program
                    Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folder, if you have it. That way, if
                    something goes bad with the reinstall, you might be able to go back to the
                    previous status.

                    With regards to the ERU program to make registry backups, I tried it once
                    and it crashed my system, so I wouldn't recommend it. You probably already
                    have a way to do and restore registry backups, but if you don't, let me
                    know and I can send you a couple batch files that make backing the registry
                    a no brainer.

                    Best regards,

                    RS
                  • Harvey R. Savage
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                      Hello Ray, Alice and RS,

                      This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                      good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                      almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

                      My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                      backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                      the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                      complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                      least 8 times or more.

                      I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
                      doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
                      times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
                      disk. I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
                      after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
                      to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
                      copy.

                      hrs

                      --
                      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
                        Hi Harvey,

                        At 09:25 PM 10/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
                        >Hello Ray, Alice and RS,
                        >
                        >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                        >good,

                        Just common sense...

                        > and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                        >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.

                        That was me, and at that time. <g>

                        Since I already had my system which worked fine for me, and I just tried
                        the ERU out of curiosity, I didn't bother to give it a second chance. (I
                        actually don't remember if I did try it a second time or not. Just that it
                        crashed my computer!)

                        Nowadays, I use a home made program that allows me to keep several backups
                        and overwrite the ones I don't want any longer. The way the program is, it
                        will only work on my machine; but I'm planning to make a public version and
                        post it on my site when I have the time to adapt it for general use. Before
                        creating this program, I used to have a batch file, which worked pretty
                        well, too, as I said; the only annoyance being having to open a DOS window.

                        And now I'm curious again. Since you tell us the ERU works for you, I'll
                        have to take another look some time.

                        >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                        >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                        >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                        >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                        >least 8 times or more.
                        >
                        >I like to stress my computer and software and sometimes it
                        >doesn't work out like I've planned but, ERU has saved me several
                        >times. It doesn't come with Win98 so I copied it from my Win95
                        >disk.

                        Funny Windows 98 does not have it!

                        > I use it before and after registry cleaning and before and
                        >after most software installations. If things go wrong all I have
                        >to do is boot into DOS and restore the previous working registry
                        >copy.

                        Indeed, registry backups are definitely one of the good things of life!

                        Regards,

                        RS
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                          To all who troubled themselves to try to help me:

                          The problem of completing an interrupted call for online stock price updates
                          in MS Money is now resolved. How did I do it, and, can we all learn by my
                          success so we can solve similar problems in the future? Read on.

                          Over the past two weeks, I must have tried to complete the interrupted call
                          at least thirty times. I used three separate real accounts and several test
                          accounts created just for this exercise. I even transferred just the data
                          files to another computer on which an uncorrupted copy of the MS Money
                          program resides. In all cases, I consistently got the same error message as
                          I previously described.

                          I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                          because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                          business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                          the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                          her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                          I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                          trouble.

                          The lesson I draw is... PROCRASTINATE!

                          Thanks for all your help.

                          Ray Shapp
                        • alice ttlg
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                            Ray wrote:
                            > I did not take the next logical step to uninstall MS Money and re-install
                            > because I was afraid to take such a drastic step before going away on a
                            > business trip last Monday. While I was away, my wife, who was unaware of
                            > the trouble I was having, fired up the program and it worked perfectly for
                            > her on her first try. It also worked flawlessly on Tuesday and Wednesday.
                            > I just re-ran the program and got tonight's price updates with no hint of
                            > trouble.

                            LOL! It just needed a woman's touch.... :-)

                            alice ttlg

                            If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but
                            for the passionate sense of potential -- for the eye which, ever young and
                            ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never. -- Soren
                            Kierkegaard
                          • Bill
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                              Hello Harvey, Ray, Alice and RS,

                              >This advice to backup your registry and the MSMoney files is very
                              >good, and I guess at any time an individual can have trouble with
                              >almost any program, including ERU.EXE.
                              >
                              >My response is that I have been using this Windows registry
                              >backup utility for close to 4 years. First in Win95 and now for
                              >the past several months in Win98. It has saved me from a
                              >complete Windows, and all my other software, reinstall(s) at
                              >least 8 times or more.

                              I also used Win 95 ERU.exe utility and after installing Win98 searched for
                              similar utility and discovered a protected mode "scanregw.exe" and real mode
                              "scanreg.exe". To use the latter, reboot to the C: prompt, run "scanreg
                              /restore" and you can choose up to five registry backup files stored by
                              default on your hard drive. Details are contained in MS KB article Q256419
                              which contains links to other articles about the Windows Registry. Based on
                              this info. decided it was not necessary to reinstall the eru utility, but
                              have not tested "scanreg", assuming it will work if needed. I did just check
                              the Win98 Startup disk and did not see this utility so made a copy of
                              "scanreg.exe" on a floppy disk.

                              Hope this helps,

                              Regards, Bill
                            • Harvey R. Savage
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 20, 2000
                                Hi Bill,

                                Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
                                manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
                                Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
                                backup anytime I choose.

                                For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
                                installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
                                incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
                                reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
                                were made.

                                hrs

                                --
                                ¿? Harvey R. Savage