9272[NTO] Re: Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • Sheri
    Dec 1, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > I'm also pleased to hear I can install Win8 and dual boot
      > XP. That way if I become frustrated with Win8 I can drop
      > back to XP for a break, and, above all I must have NotePro
      > working. I use it more than any other software.

      I don't think you'll be getting any help from the installer on dual booting. What you'll need to do is either install Windows 8 on a separate primary partition on the same drive or else on a separate hard disk from XP, then afterwards edit the boot menu. If you do the digital download through the upgrade assistant instead of proceeding directly to install Windows 8, you'll need to create a bootable install media (dvd or usb, depending on what your XP box can boot from, and you may need to change a bios option to allow booting from one of the above).

      The upgrade assistant will assist e.g. in burning a bootable install dvd. Once you have it, you can boot from the media and direct the installation to the proper destination. If installing to a separate hard disk you could even unplug the XP drive to be certain it is unaffected during the install. Later you'd reconnect it. Then at worse you'd have to temporarily change the boot order in BIOS to boot XP.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic