9269Re: [NTO] Re: Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • hsavage
    Nov 30, 2012
      On 11/30/2012 11:28 PM, Sheri wrote:
      > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop,
      >> from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this
      >> be a worthwhile upgrade?
      >>
      >> Opinions solicited!
      >
      > Hi Harvey,
      >
      > I recently retired my XP Pro computer hardware and got a new system
      that came with Windows 7 (64-bit). I had the opportunity to upgrade to
      Windows 8 and took it. I don't regret it. I didn't run Windows 7 very
      long, but I found both 7 and 8 to be worthwhile advancements over XP.
      Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements than 7.
      My hardware was old and dying, but it would not have been able to run
      Windows 8. My old CPU didn't support certain SSE instructions.

      > There is an upgrade assistant you can download to see if your system
      meets the minimum requirements. If so, you should be able to install it
      to dual boot with XP, but you can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 8.
      So you will have to reinstall software. Some software is not compatible.
      The upgrade assistant should identify incompatibilities. For me it
      identified Office 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 7. Despite allegedly
      incompatibility, Office 2003 is running fine after my in-place update
      from Windows 7. Acrobat didn't work right even in Windows 7. NoteTab
      runs fine.

      > Since my new system has ample space and memory I decided to try to
      resurrect my XP system in a virtual machine using Oracle's Virtualbox
      software. It worked, so I have Acrobat and all my other old software
      back when I want it after all.

      > Windows 8 does take some getting used to, but for me the adjustment
      was less than expected. If you find you miss the Start button, there are
      a bunch of 3rd party freebies to get it back.

      > Let me know if you have any specific questions.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Sheri,

      First, let me say, I had already downloaded and run the MS Upgrade
      Assistant. Apparently my desktop is upgradable and I will increase the ram.

      I have a laptop with Win7 64bit. I have/am considered/considering,
      possibly, upgrading both and your review is encouraging to that end.

      I'm also pleased to hear I can install Win8 and dual boot XP. That way
      if I become frustrated with Win8 I can drop back to XP for a break, and,
      above all I must have NotePro working. I use it more than any other
      software.

      Also, I may take advantage of your offer to help with specific
      questions, very much appreciated.

      ¤. JD#...336 - ¤. SL...1074 - 12.12.01~01.16.24

      . On The Other Hand,
      . You Have Different Fingers

      EUR hrs EUR hsavage EUR pobox EUR com