9267Re: Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • Sheri
    Nov 30, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop,
      > from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this
      > be a worthwhile upgrade?
      >
      > Opinions solicited!

      Hi Harvey,

      I recently retired my XP Pro computer hardware and got a new system that came with Windows 7 (64-bit). I had the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8 and took it. I don't regret it. I didn't run Windows 7 very long, but I found both 7 and 8 to be worthwhile advancements over XP. Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements than 7. My hardware was old and dying, but it would not have been able to run Windows 8. My old CPU didn't support certain SSE instructions.

      There is an upgrade assistant you can download to see if your system meets the minimum requirements. If so, you should be able to install it to dual boot with XP, but you can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 8. So you will have to reinstall software. Some software is not compatible. The upgrade assistant should identify incompatibilities. For me it identified Office 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 7. Despite allegedly incompatibility, Office 2003 is running fine after my in-place update from Windows 7. Acrobat didn't work right even in Windows 7. NoteTab runs fine.

      Since my new system has ample space and memory I decided to try to resurrect my XP system in a virtual machine using Oracle's Virtualbox software. It worked, so I have Acrobat and all my other old software back when I want it after all.

      Windows 8 does take some getting used to, but for me the adjustment was less than expected. If you find you miss the Start button, there are a bunch of 3rd party freebies to get it back.

      Let me know if you have any specific questions.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic