9241Re: [NTO] Do I have a 64 bit system?

  • Sheri
    Oct 6, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > At 02:30 2012-10-06, john041650 wrote:
      > >Windows XP:
      > > Click Start.
      > > Right-click My Computer.
      > > Choose Properties from the context menu.
      > > Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the
      > > particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition"
      > > or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your
      > > machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."
      >
      > Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
      > OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?
      >
      > Lotta

      I have no personal experience with this but I recently read that if your motherboard supports hardware virtualization and it is enabled in bios, you can install a 64-bit operating system (to run 64-bit apps) in virtualbox on a 32-bit host. As best I understand it, it would run as a window on your 32-bit host desktop. Also, someone with a 64-bit host could have a 32 bit guest OS. Either host could support 64 and 32-bit guests. Virtualbox is freely available from Oracle. The operating systems you install in it could be a free ones like Ubuntu or a licenced or trial versions of 64-bit Windows 7 or 8. How well it would work likely depends on how much and how fast your memory and disks are. Its probably better to have a 64-bit host system since 64-bit systems can have more memory than 32-bit systems but might still be worth trying if you meet the minimum requirements.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic