9197Huge File Size in MS Word

  • Ray Shapp
    Feb 16, 2012
      Hi Notetabbers,

      Please help me pare down the size of a huge Word document file.

      A member of my astronomy club sent me the monthly newsletter in a huge file
      size Word document for posting on the club's website. The typical size for
      the newsletter is under 2MB. This month's issue occupies over 20MB of file
      space, yet the number of pages is about the same as usual (nine pages).

      I examined all the graphics. A total of 25 graphics use only 376KB.

      I opened the document in Open Office Writer, then saved it in ODT format.
      The ODT file size is 19.7MB.

      The editor of the newsletter says he didn't install any new printers
      recently, and the configuration on my PC hasn't changed either.

      If you would like to examine the DOC file, its name is "2012-02 XXIII
      final.doc". I have posted it at Dropbox:

      https://www.dropbox.com/

      Name: Ray Shapp
      Email: rayshapp@...

      I temporarily changed the password to *2012-02-asterism* (notice all lower
      case)

      Can anyone see what's causing the nearly ten-fold increase in file size
      compared to what's usual.

      Thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp