9195Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

  • Ray Shapp
    Feb 7, 2012
      Hi Axel and others,

      On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

      Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
      The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
      changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
      Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
      style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
      convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

      I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
      PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
      five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
      wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
      Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.

      <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
      > than an expert in document creation>>

      To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.

      I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

      Again, thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp