9056Re: [NTO] Not sure what I'm doing

  • kathleen.kearns
    Feb 12, 2011
      Originally, it was utilizing the maximum number of columns. Little by little whittling it down by eliminating unnecessary columns from the benefit program canned report that is imported into Excel as well as vlookup formulas. Working with our benefit program vendor to see if they can restructure the canned report to be easier to manipulate. One of the reasons why I'm reaching out for advice is because the report is difficult to protect from the other users entering bad data or wiping out formulas or worse, the report itself...delete key is dangerous for a few of them. There is a small number of columns where we manually enter data, such as notes and payments made.

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

      > "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
      > > the size of the file. Nearly 240 columns are in the Excel file
      > > and at the moment 400 rows.
      >
      > So in database terms that's 400 entries with 240 fields each. Very
      > complex entries, are you sure you can't restructure that as a relational
      > database, i.e. can't some of the fields be clumped into subsets?
      >
      > > management won't spring for the program.
      >
      > That's the least of your problems, they're all free. Access to the
      > database would then be through a browser, quite appropriate if, as you
      > say, several people need to access and edit the same database.
      > MySQL and PHP are the engine of nearly all blogs and nearly all Web 2.0
      > sites, so they're highly tried and tested and free of bugs.
      >
      > Axel

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic