9055[NTO] Re: Not sure what I'm doing

  • kathleen.kearns
    Feb 12, 2011
      Hi Lotta,

      You are correct. The current Excel file is on a shared internal server, accessible only to specific employees. This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up something like a web page with all the data and formulas running in the background. I've used Access and it is the more logical option but it can't function properly if it is a shared file, can't handle the 240+ columns and not sure all the different formulas can work..or if I can figure out how to do it to begin with. :} The file is then merged into a Word document so that forms can be printed and mailed. We've tried to find a vendor to handle it but there to many complications with our company's policies and benefit program.

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Don you wrote:
      > >Any responsible web hosting provider includes both, both are also
      > >available without cost to run on a local server if you want. You can
      > >run apache, mysql and php.
      >
      > If this thing is going to run on a shared drive at Kathleen's work,
      > there won't be a host involved. But you'd need to run a server if
      > this is to be some kind of web application, Kathleen. Maybe you
      > already do and depending on what server it is, there may be other
      > options than PHP+ MySQL. Not that I know anything about converting
      > Access to anything else. BTW I think Access can run on MS servers,
      > but again I know nothing about that either. :-)
      >
      > Lotta

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic