      From: Al
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

      loro wrote:
      > Al wrote:
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
      >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
      >>

      > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
      > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

      Instead of that, I think it's the next.

      My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
      which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
      type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
      to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
      steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
      high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

      Here is a definition for milled

      4. A common name for various machines which produce a
      manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
      by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
      sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
      [1913 Webster]
      > Here they use mild.
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
      > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
      > spell your omelette.
      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
      >

      >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
      >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
      >>
      >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
      >>

      > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
      > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
      > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

      Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
      thickness, etc. of cast iron).

      So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
      gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
      this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
      steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

      --
      Alan.