9032Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Jan 30, 2011
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >Dave wrote:
      > > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette
      >Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
      >preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
      >Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

      Exactly. I should have been more clear. I know what cast iron is and
      that's the only material I use for frying pans - so far. And yes, we
      do produce cast iron pans and pots here. Good ones too. I have some
      lovely ones after my grandmother, probably from the beginning of the
      last century. The only advantage of my new ones is that they have an
      isolated handle. Hope you like your Swedish pan fw. What is it?
      Skeppshult? Ronneby?

      But I've always wanted an omelette pan made of what I call carbon
      steel as I've seen used abroad. That's what I can't find in Sweden. I
      don't think they've ever been common here, which is kind of odd.
      Nowadays we have the modern coated pans of course and recently
      stainless steel has become popular, but carbon steel is unheard of.

      When I saw the movie Julie and Julia last year my old dream of an
      omelette pan awoke and since then I've been obsessed with being able
      to do this. :-D

      To summarize, I take it that in U.K. black iron and mild steel are
      the same thing, at least in the case of the pans I've looked at.
      Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll make you all omelettes once I've
      got it. Everyone good with shrimp and cheese? Axel, you bring the
      bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic