8674Re: [NTO] deleted dmusic.sys by mistake - oops!

    Feb 20, 2010
      loro wrote:
      > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter?

      I believe I do, but hope I'll be corrected if I spout nonsense. With a
      router the router has a public IP-address assigned by your provider and
      all connected computers have local addresses assigned by the router (or
      by yourself, if you turn the automatism off). So for any packet arriving
      from outside the router needs to know, which computer to forward it to.
      It does this by monitoring the requests you yourself make to outside
      servers and routes the answers back. Thus any unsolicited packets can't
      be assigned and are rejected.

      (If you want to run a webserver or FTP-server or anything like that, you
      need to program some specific forwarding into the router yourself.)

      This takes care of the new capabilties introduced with XP. I believe,
      but am not sure, 98 is safe from those even without a router. And of
      course all I described is true only for a totally unsecured computer
      running XP without any service packs - but that's exactly what you get
      by installing from CD and connecting to get the updates from the net.
      Typically the malware is faster than the installs, but a router does a
      lot to protect.

      Of course none of all that protects you from actively clicking a
      contaminated site with scripting allowed, but you knew that already.