8385Re: [NTO] backup, preservation (was-installing Windows)

  • Chris Laarman
    Mar 20, 2009
      On Friday, March 20, 2009 1:26 PM [GMT+1=CET],
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

      > I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data
      > back-up. But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you
      > describe above.
      >
      > I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
      > The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web
      > server. But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web
      > site gets wiped and all is lost.
      > Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.

      1) Something comes to me that I must have read a few years ago: people
      across the globe trusting each other providing back-up space for each
      other.

      2) Yes, digital data may well be short-lived. Hard disks may crash,
      optical media may burn, hosting providers may go bankrupt without
      notice, domain name registrations may unintentionally expire - even
      before you kick the bucket.
      On the other hand, try to wipe out that one wrong word or picture you
      posted somewhere sometime...

      3) As for books - just ask in Cologne (Germany), where the city archive
      recently collapsed. (The city archive of my home town of Amsterdam, the
      Netherlands, resides along a subway tunnel due to be built by the same
      company building the Cologne one along theirs...)
      Not to mention the intentional destruction of media (and lives and
      whatever).

      4) The most frightening aspect may be the sheer amount of data we
      create and save. With ever higher precision and ever more elaborate
      appearance. (There are people storing "Hello world!" type documents in
      Microsoft Word file format...)

      --
      Chris Laarman