8379Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Chris Laarman
    Mar 19, 2009
      On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:06 PM [GMT+1=CET],
      Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the response!

      > In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery
      > software, but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the
      > computer is suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
      > In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

      Then the previous user may have repartitioned the drives, sacrificing
      the recovery partitions, or he may have replaced the drives, or.... That
      company might even have those recovery disks (created from the
      partitions) about to be disposed of.

      By the way, I once had a Dell (my most expensive mistake), and the
      recovery was contained in some directory rather than partition.
      Something like C:\Windows\Options. (Windows ME, can't check it anymore)

      In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
      suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
      such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
      The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
      somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
      have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
      computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
      to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
      of the computer you're reviving...

      Chris Laarman
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic