8374Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Chris Laarman
    Mar 19, 2009
      On Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:34 PM [GMT+1=CET],
      Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

      > This is totally off topic!
      >
      > I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
      > company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
      > disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
      > Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
      >
      > My question is this:
      > Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
      > computers but register them using the Windows product key code
      > attached to the computers?

      1) In my opinion the product key matters, not the source of the
      distribution files.

      2) Computers may have rescue partitions on their (original) hard disks,
      instead of coming with removable media. These would be accessed by
      pressing a certain key upon boot-up (similar to entering the ROM
      settings).
      It would be possible to create recovery disks from (within) such rescue
      partition.
      You could search the Web for the brands, types and probably a word like
      "rescue" in order to find out about rescue partitions and accessing
      them.

      --
      Chris Laarman
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic