8206Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Ray Shapp
    Oct 22, 2008
      To All,

      I need an efficient file catalog similar to the hierarchical system in Windows
      Explorer. In fact, I am using Explorer in exactly that role now, but I may be
      causing a slowdown in the normal functioning of the Windows file system
      because I may be overusing Explorer. Windows remembers the state of up to
      about 2000 folders. I have modified the entry in the Registry to allow
      remembering the state of 10,000 folders. Windows is remembering the state, but
      I am beginning to see the hourglass symbol when I do normal operations in
      Explorer.

      I have examined some of the cataloging applications designed for tracking
      music or video libraries, but they are much too elaborate and cumbersome for
      my needs.

      Every day, I get 50 to 100 files related to actual or planned observations
      from some of the members of an astronomy club. In most cases, I need only to
      record the name of the file, size, type, and date modified. In a small
      percentage of cases, I retain the actual contents of the file. File types can
      be TXT, some kind of video or still image, DOC, PDF, or rarely XLS.

      Most files come into a temporary folder in my mail client. Then I save the
      attachment(s) into the appropriate sub-folder(s) within Windows Explorer, and
      create a sub-folder with the same name as the file. I usually then delete the
      contents of the file leaving only the file name, type ("File Folder"), size
      (empty in most cases), and date modified. In 1 or 2 percent of cases, I retain
      the original contents of the file. For example, I have about 8500 folders
      created from file names, and I have only 10 megabytes of contents in those
      folders. About 98 percent of folders are empty.

      The members who send these files use a standard file-naming convention that
      dictates where these files get stored in the hierarchy. I use the built-in
      searching and sorting functions of Windows Explorer to check for duplicate
      observations and to append an accession number when multiple observations come
      in for a single object.

      Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows Explorer in an
      application that doesn't use the Windows File Allocation Table. If the Outline
      structure in NoteTab had say 8 or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a
      good tool for this job.

      I am asking for suggested utilities here rather than in the Clip Programming
      group because I'm guessing that a fast, slim, efficient application like this
      already exists.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      WinXP Pro SP3