8205Re: [NTO] Need some help about IE

  • Ray Shapp
    Oct 20, 2008
      Hi Mordechai,

      I don't have a specific cure for you, however, the following may help:

      <<Recently have serious problem with IE (version6), when I start my
      computer,>>

      Download and install MSIE version 7. I don't remember whether you need to
      uninstall version 6 before you install version 7. Just follow the prompts,
      however, if you really want to uninstall MSIE version 6, use the free CCleaner
      utility. When CCleaner is running, click on Tools then Uninstall. The browser
      is listed as "Windows Internet Explorer 6". Get CCleaner from
      http://www.ccleaner.com/ Note, CCleaner has the power to clean out lots of
      areas of your PC. Use it with care -- especially if you use it to clean your
      Registry.

      Use Windows Update to get Service Pack 3 for WinXP Pro.

      Do a free online virus scan from Panda (
      http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/ )or HouseCall (
      http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ ). Both of these services require you to
      install their search engine on your PC the first time you run the scan. Both
      will delete or quarantine real viruses but Panda requires that you register.
      Registration is free, otherwise it will report any problems it finds, but it
      will not delete or quarantine the problems.

      Run HijackThis ( http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html ).

      Run SpywareBlaster ( http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ).

      Run Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/ ).

      Please be aware that some malicious software is available for download with
      names that are very similar sounding to the legitimate sites. The URLs above
      have been tested by me recently, and they appear to be safe.

      Use all of these aids cautiously. Do complete backups of critical data before
      you run them. A very good registry backup program which creates backups that
      will not evaporate like some System Restore points is ERUNT (
      http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt ).

      Good luck!

      Ray Shapp
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic