8155Recover Serial Port

  • Ray Shapp
    Aug 22, 2008
      To All,

      This is way off topic, but someone here may have a quick answer to my
      question: how can I recover the use of a serial com port that was being used
      by an application on my PC when I want to switch to another application that
      needs that same com port?

      I want to control the slewing of a telescope by using a dedicated stand-alone
      PC. Sometimes I will use program A to do it, and other times I will use
      program B to do it. Currently, the only way I know of to permit program B to
      access Com 1 after program A has been in use is to exit program A and reboot.
      I can also use Device Manager to remove Com 1, but that still requires a
      reboot in order to regain access to Com 1.

      Can anyone tell me of a way to free up Com 1 after the first application
      exits? I think a DOS command exists for this purpose, but I didn't find it. I
      also looked at MSCONFIG, but no joy.

      I'm using WinXP Pro SP3.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp