8107Re: [NTO] redirecting urls

  • Jeff Scism
    Jul 14, 2008
      Several links checkers are out there, I use the freeware Xenu Link Sleuth.

      Jeff

      Axel Berger wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >
      >> but this involves link outside my server.
      >>

      > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
      > "http://...". It can point anywhere.
      >

      >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
      >>

      > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
      > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
      > would be open to abuse.
      > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
      > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
      > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
      > try just now.
      >

      >> Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
      >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
      >> links. Frustrating!
      >>

      > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
      > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.
      >
      > Axel

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      ~~

      "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

      -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

      Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

      Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
      For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

      Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
      Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
      Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic