8090Re: [NTO] Double-Click Opens But Doesn't Play File

  • Alec Burgess
    Jul 9, 2008
      Ray Shapp (ras45@...) wrote (in part) (on 7/9/2008 at 5:07 AM):
      > Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy. If it is, What would
      > be the
      > remedy? Alec has suggested uninstalling and re-installing Zoom Player
      > using
      > Revo Uninstaller. I haven't tried that, but I will unless you see a
      > better
      > fix.
      Ray: I encourage you to attempt to continue to investigate a registry
      "tweak" to resolve your problem since more knowledge/experimentation is
      always a "good thing (tm)" however IMO - uninstall/reinstall of a
      program is almost always a zero-risk, minimal time attempt and likely
      (though not guaranteed) way to correct mysterious problems.

      That said you can combine the two approaches by the following method:
      Get InstallRite (google for it) and Revo Uninstaller (you may have
      already got this?)

      InstallRite allows you to take a File-system and Registry snapshot, do
      "something" then redo the snapshot and compare the results in a
      tree-view. so .... assuming you elect to go this route ...

      1. in InstallRite - take the initial snapshot
      2. use Revo Uninstaller (with deep clean) to do the "normal
      uninstall" and then remove all traces it can find.
      3. reinstall ZoomPlayer
      4. if necessary - go into Zoom Player and set file-associations
      through there interface (options or something done while running
      the installer itself
      1. see if it works :-)
      5. in InstallRite - click Analyze
      1. review changes to your system as a result of (2) and (3)
      (4) above.

      Note: if you see while doing the snapshot that InstallRite is spending a
      lot of time checking file-system areas that you are not interested in
      (eg Tiff-cache) in Configure you can tell it to skip certain
      folders/disks/file-patterns etc.

      IF in 4.1 you find that now ZoomPlayer will open and play AVIs etc you
      s/b able to see exactly what the change was that made the difference.
      Note that by doing the snapshot BEFORE the initial uninstall and AFTER
      the reinstall and first execution you should be able to isolate just the
      changes.

      --
      Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)