8028Re: [NTO] Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Jeff Scism
    Jun 7, 2008
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      > Jeff Scism wrote:
      >> Is there a way to have the search directory results copied to a new Text
      >> document instead of a pop-up window (or from the pop-up)? I often need
      >> to create a list of on-directory files which contain the search term.
      > That is a good one. You only get the pop up I believe if you ask for
      > confirmation, correct?
      > One option (off the top of my head):
      > Create a clip that
      > 1. captures all open documents by full name.
      > 2. closes all open documents (saving them of course if necessary)
      > 3. performs your search disk and opens all files
      > 4. records the full or other desired name of those files (hence doing
      > what you want)
      > 5. closes all open files
      > 6. reopens the original files captured in step one.
      > I see no better way, but undoubtedly someone else does.
      This would be feasible if there were a small number of files, but I am
      dealing with up to 10,000. (normally though results are in the
      700-1,000 range)

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

      "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

      -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

      Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

      Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
      For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

      Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
      Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
      Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic