7956Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

    Apr 24, 2008
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE.
      > In Firefox, text will wrap if I increase font size, but in
      > MSIE, that causes the display to require horizontal scrolling.

      You have to thank the current generation of "web designers" for
      that. School
      dropouts used to moonlight as backyard car mechanics, nowadays they
      fancy themselves as "designers" and it shows. Because user chosen
      text scaling is all too often suppressed by them the browser
      manufacturers (Opera and IE 7) in desperation chose to scale the
      screen instead. I have just found out how to detect that and am
      aiming to adjust my layout, but it can't be done in clean CSS ands
      will require schripting.

      I hate it, when I have to conform to idiots and not the other way
      round. If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all
      stop guessing at invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display
      that mess" message instead.