7845Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] PDF files

    Dec 19, 2007
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
      > this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to
      > work around it.
      >
      > In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to
      > be able to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.

      I'd say, you're wrong here. PDF is a format for distributing content. If
      there is my name on something I expect it to stay exactly the way I
      chose to write it and noone should be able to to alter it and
      redistribute a fake.
      It is possible to copy content from the document - copy protection is
      silly and can always be circumvented - but text is copied as text, i.e.
      ASCII and graphics are copied as graphics. That is alright, but
      changing, adulterating and corrupting MY text is not.

      If I want to hand out work in progress for others to contribute to, we
      can either agree on one program to use or use any one of a number of
      open formats to do it in. This is not, what PDF is for.