7781Browser Behavior on Mac Computer

  • Ray Shapp
    Nov 4, 2007
      Hello All,

      I sent the email below to the HTML group, but it's really not a HTML question.
      I think everyone will agree the HTML code is ok. I would appreciate any hints
      as to why Firefox and MSIE don't render the code as web pages.

      Thank you

      Ray Shapp

      ***originally sent to NTB-HTML group***

      Hello All,

      I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
      that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is using
      a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about that
      breed.

      Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by Firefox
      and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
      display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
      friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
      assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as
      ".txt".

      When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
      (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox
      v2.0.0.8.

      Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's browsers
      to correctly render this bit of code?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">