7506Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • Brian Binder
    Oct 2, 2006
      Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
      with Windows 98.

      Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
      issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
      the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
      all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

      With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

      Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
      because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
      the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
      the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

      Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
      it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
      act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
      all that.

      I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
      that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
      restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
      hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
      from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
      works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

      I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
      consider purchasing it.

      Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
      your settings and programs.

      And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
      can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
      settings were stored.

      There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

      Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

      > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
      >
      > Al

      > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
      > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
      > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
      >
      >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
      >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
      >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
      >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
      >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
      >
      >>thanks for any wisdom.
      >
      >>Dean
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic