7504Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • John Mitchell
    Oct 2, 2006
      Dean

      Most people have no more than half a dozen "must have" applications. I'd
      rather go through the relatively mild pain of reinstalling those on a
      nice new clean system, than any method that involves reusing the old
      system on a new machine. As far as data is concerned, you can easily
      network the old system with the new system and simply copy your files
      across.

      What *is* well worth doing is to take an image snapshot of your new
      system (a) before you do anything to it and (b) as soon as you are
      comfortable that you have a stable configuration complete with your
      favourite applications. That way you can easily get back to a working
      system, should anything untoward happen. My personal favourite imaging
      tool is a toss up between BootitNG and Image for Windows, available
      separately or bundled at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

      Something else worth considering if you expect to be doing a few XP
      installs/updates (e.g. updating your new system, and refreshing or
      rebuilding your old system) is the excellent Autopatcher
      (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and once you have a full Autopatcher base
      you can easily keep it up to date with a small monthly supplemental
      download. If, for example, you had occasion in 6 months time to restore
      to the snapshot you took in (b) above, it would be a matter of minutes
      with Autopatcher to bring that system back up to full currency. It also
      means you can switch off Microsoft's automatic update system which will
      save you many unexpected downloads and reboots and avoids the risk of MS
      installing something they think is good for you (e.g. Windows Genuine
      Advantage) without your say so.

      Regards, John M