7435[NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • xtx222003
    Aug 1, 2006
      Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
      googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
      a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

      BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
      in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
      files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
      Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
      Places is still like pouring molasses.

      I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
      results:

      SHARED file path
      \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

      MAPPED file path
      V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

      You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
      will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
      I'm involved in!

      I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
      just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
      working in a networked environment.

      Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
      Corl

      PS everyone
      48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
      does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

      > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
      mapped than
      > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

      http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
      ive.htm
      > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
      makes me
      > think that:
      > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
      >

      > Regards ... Alec
      > --

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic