      From: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:06 AM
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NTO] The not genuine message

      Thanks for the replies.

      The situation is that I bought the computer with the now clearly illegally
      installed operating system from RM Computers at 5 Market Place in
      Barton-on-Humber on 30th March 2005 and as far as I was concerned I had no
      reason to think otherwise that the Windows XP Pro was legal. I have found
      the receipt, and it is interesting because it does not mention the operating
      system, nor does it mention the Microsoft Office that was installed too. So
      I might now assume that that was illegal too.

      Yesterday (Thursday) I went to the shop where he used to trade (closed and
      sold to a small fabric retailer) and was told he works from Newtons Printers
      nearby. They said they bought his stock from him and now give out his mobile
      number. I took this and after a voicemail deposit I later rang again and
      spoke to him. He told me to do how to remove the offending "May be a victim
      of Counterfeit" notices and slow speed of switching on - the countdown to
      ungreying the "Resolve later" button - installed by the Microsoft update.
      He said the longer term solution was that files can be backed up and he
      would put on Windows XP Home and would cost me £70, costs him £65. He would
      not charge for his time. He now just deals with existing customers and
      warranties. He said he did this with the operating system to keep down the
      price. (Well we can all keep down the price by not paying for something!)

      Now having given this some thought, this is not the solution is it, because
      he has installed operating system software I thought was legal and is not,
      and therefore this surely needs pursuing in a different way. It is a huge
      inconvenience to me to have to back up files and data, not only this but I
      restructure the Start button shortcuts too. Presumably the Windows XP Home
      would be legal, but this computer has been running Windows XP Pro.

      So there are two issues here. One is the way I have been hoodwinked. The
      evidence is that I was supplied with an operating system, and secondly his
      advertising. Unfortunately I did not keep his advertising that described new
      and reconditioned computers with Windows XP supplied. Mine was not new.

      The second issue is that Microsoft have messed up my system on pain of
      reporting this trader to them. Only if I pay Microsoft money or report this
      person can I have my computer restored. Now it is not up to me to report him
      to Microsoft, nor is it right for my computer to be messed up. It is up to
      Microsoft to deal with the rogue traders themselves. My contract is with
      this trader, and I am going to go today to the local authority to pursue
      this further. Microsoft have, or should have, a contract with him.

      I have no difficulty with publishing (as indeed I am doing here) the details
      of this trader and his business (that has ceased trading - and I only know
      his first name, Roger). What is wrong is that Microsoft is using their
      dispute with such traders to affect retail customers' computers, and it is
      an abuse of their privilege in sending automatic updates. This is a matter
      which I have sent to my Member of Parliament and especially one of my
      Members of the European Parliament to pass this behaviour on to the European
      Commission. I have received replies from both. The European Commission deals
      with Microsoft issues because of the EU role and the size and power of
      Microsoft, as demonstrated in this case.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk

      can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM