7144Re: [NTO] The End of the Internet?

  • Alan
    Feb 16, 2006
      http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=396

      That's news info and opinion about Telco's wanting to charge $ , for example,
      to charge Google for use of their lines (toll bridge similarity -- use the
      bridge, pay a toll -- but such toll is *only* for *big-heavy* users) but it's
      Telco's lines instead of a bridge on a highway.

      Unless I've taken it wrong, it appears that some of these very Telcos are
      scrambling to get up a new something like graphic fiber line so as to offer
      even more broadband internet services. And also some complain (perhaps to
      congress, even) that "Google gets by on cheap servers" while our (new fiber)
      line costs us a gazillion dollars to finance/build.

      Perhaps it is needed, what is it -- something like "net neutral" in congress
      (a regulation that marshalls that the net is to be free of regulation)

      Is that right? Do I have that right about the meaning of net neutral? (if
      so, that's kinda, er uh, ____.

      Alan.

      On Thursday 02 February 2006 12:15, sisterscape wrote:
      > Our 1984ish, Orwellian future continues . . .
      >
      > Published on Thursday, February 2, 2006 by The Nation
      > The End of the Internet?
      > by Jeff Chester
      >
      > The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an
      > alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and
      > nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded
      > service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online.
      >
      > Verizon, Comcast, Bell South and other communications giants are
      > developing strategies that would track and store information on our
      > every move in cyberspace in a vast data-collection and marketing
      > system, the scope of which could rival the National Security Agency.
      > According to white papers now being circulated in the cable, telephone
      > and telecommunications industries, those with the deepest
      > pockets--corporations, special-interest groups and major
      > advertisers--would get preferred treatment. Content from these
      > providers would have first priority on our computer and television
      > screens, while information seen as undesirable, such as peer-to-peer
      > communications, could be relegated to a slow lane or simply shut out.
      >
      > Read more at - http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0202-26.htm
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic