6909Re: Re: [NTO] Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • Alec Burgess (g)
    Dec 14, 2005
      Hi Corl:
      Fascinating problem! It looks like all the things I could think of to
      remotely debug this through the forums have been tried

      Just a couple of suggestions that won't solve it but might provide more
      data.

      If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and RegMon
      (all free and all from sysinternals.com).

      You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in Notetab
      but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in Notepad
      or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.

      1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to open it in
      Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in Notetab
      light and then again in Notetab pro?

      2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in same or
      different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A the first
      time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in the
      same/different folders?

      With Process Explorer you can "watch" the files in use by Notepad and/or
      Notetab as the opening of the file from the network takes place. With
      FileMon you can set it to show all accesses to the file from *any* program.

      Maybe you'll be able to spot something anomalous - perhaps a firewall or
      anti-virus program getting involved that shouldn't (though it sounds like
      you've already ruled these out.)

      Note: Regmon seems less likely to provide any meaningful information here,
      but its a nice tool that might show something ... here or when trying to
      debug other problems :-)

      Regards ... Alec
      --