6692Re: IPTC Data - Photo Cataloguing (WAS: RE: [NTB] publishing pictures that

  • John Zeman
    Aug 19, 2005
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:

      > I wasn't aware that this was a "Windows feature". I had only come
      across
      > its use in connection with Eric's "Easy Imager". Am I missing
      something?
      > Having said that I hate the approach which scatters description
      information
      > in every directory. It means you can't move files about without
      using the
      > program that keeps these files updated when you move files about.
      >
      > Greg

      Greg you have a valid point about moving files and their
      descriptions, without a program to manage those descriptions it
      wouldn't be much use to me either. I use two programs (along with
      NoteTab for manual editing) to manage my file descriptions. The 4NT
      command shell which sets all the initial file descriptions of my
      images to the date the photo was taken when it moves them from a
      photo card to my computer. And Directory Opus, my primary GUI file
      manager which automatically keeps the images (or any files)
      synchronized with their descriptions no matter where I move them to.
      Without those two programs, especially DOpus, the descript.ion
      feature would have little value to me.

      What I like about using descript.ion files for descriptions is the
      fact that they're simple text files, not binary. The principle they
      use is very simple, and below is a small sample of what their
      contents can look like:

      P8051495.jpg (2005-08-05) Falls Park in Sioux Falls
      P5290982.jpg (2005-05-29) Scenic View near Newcastle

      The first thing on each line in the file is the name of the file the
      description is for, and that's followed by the actual description. I
      can sort, edit add or delete descriptions with NoteTab if I want, and
      sometimes I do, but mostly I use 4NT or Directory Opus for those jobs.

      Also, I guess I shouldn't have said descript.ion is a Windows feature
      for it really has nothing to do with Microsoft. It's just a standard
      many software companies use to set/manage descriptions for files and
      folders.

      I'm not trying to talk anyone into using descript.ion descriptions,
      only mentioning that they work very well for me.

      John
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic