6672Re: IPTC Data - Photo Cataloguing (WAS: RE: [NTB] publishing pictures that

  • John Zeman
    Aug 18 11:40 AM
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
      > John Zeman wrote:
      > > I hadn't checked this forum for a little while, I'm glad I did today. I really do not have anything to add to this topic as I no longer have much use for JPGs (other than as desktop wallpaper or for use in my web sites) except to suggest yet another possible alternative program for managing EXIF/IPTC data in images. A free program called Exifer that's available here:
      > >
      > > http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
      > >
      > > To be honest I have barely used Exifer because right after I found this utility I switched to taking all my photos in raw mode and Exifer does not support raw images.
      > >
      > > For anyone reading this who also takes photos in raw mode, if you haven't checked out the following free program for managing raw images, you might take a peek at it:
      > >
      > > http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html
      > >
      > > The current version of RawShooter is free however a premium version is close to being released. I love the free version so much that I plan to pay for the premium version no matter what it costs.
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > I may not get it. What do you really want to do?
      > Make an index of each folder showing what is in it, including this IPTC
      > info? If a program like irfanview can show it via a plug in, you can
      > probably retrieve it into notetab, do with it what you will and move on
      > to the next image.
      > Or do you want to make an index page that shows each image and actually
      > lists the info below it?
      >
      > What is the goal?

      Sorry for the confusion Don. I meant to convey that I'm very satisfied with my current method of cataloging, viewing, editing, and printing images. The only thing that needs improvement is the current RawShooter program only has basic EXIF support at the moment, but better EXIF support for it is coming soon.

      As far as storing general comments about each image (not IPTC), I use the Windows descript.ion file feature where a small text file in each directory holds comment information about any or every file in that directory. I can open and edit that descript.ion file in NoteTab or in any of many other different ways. My file manager (Directory Opus) shows those comments in a column right next to the file name making it easy to find any photo by description.

      RawShooter shows the raw images in thumbnail mode, intermediate mode, or full size, and it's exceptionally fast compared to IrfanView or any other raw converter I've seen. And that's just the start of what all it will do.

      All in all I've never been happier with my digital imaging in general, from the camera to the screen to the printer.

      John
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic