6592Re: [NTO] Monitor problem

  • David Smart
    May 31, 2005
      From my own comparison shopping recently, it is now cheaper to buy a new 17" monitor than to have one repaired. If your monitor is bigger than this, it may well be cheaper to repair than replace, but for this size or smaller, expect to replace.

      If you do want to look at repair, make sure you get a firm quote before leaving the monitor.

      Dave S

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: hsavage
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:44 AM
      Subject: Re: [NTO] Monitor problem

      Hugo Paulissen wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
      > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
      > the image is sucked into the middle.
      >
      > [graphical representation]
      > ----------
      > |+\ /+|
      > |++| |++|
      > |+/ \+|
      > ----------
      >
      > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
      > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Hugo

      Hugo,

      You should probably start comparing prices!

      If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
      side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
      connection.

      If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
      repairman might be of some help.

      It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
      on the circuit board.

      With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
      time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
      comparing prices anyway!

      �v�
      05.05.31
      hrs > hsavage@...