      From: David Smart [mailto:smartware@...]
      Sent: 29 January, 2005 17.39
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NTO] Anyone use Quicken?

      I'm wondering whether it's your chart of accounts that is "broken" and not
      Quicken.

      From memory, I think you said that you had imported the two accounts
      involved from a different computer? Does this mean that they were (and are
      still) working fine in the original computer but not in the one you imported
      them into?

      Did they really get imported into the correct place in your chart of
      accounts?

      I don't have Quicken at home for personal use, and access it at one client's
      premises only to find and fix specific problems, which I do by analysis, not
      previous knowledge. So I'm speculating heavily here, but ...

      ... accounts have a predisposition on how they apply positive numbers (i.e.
      income or expense). Is this behaviour inherited from where they sit in the
      tree structure of the accounts, or is it assigned explicitly to each
      account? Certainly, when I've created a new low-level account, I don't
      recall needing to say what type of account it is, my recollection is that it
      knows this by where it is in the tree structure. (Could be hopelessly wrong
      on this recollection, so treat it with the suspicion it deserves.)

      Dave S
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic