5631RE: [NTO] Pop-Ups

  • Mike Acklin
    Jul 14, 2004
      All the suggestions are great and I have used the majority of them. Ad
      aware, Pop-up Stopper, MyIE2, Firefox, and the list goes on. But I have
      found out something else that I never knew was going on with my computer all
      the time.

      I installed this program called ProtoWall. It is a very easy program to use
      and will surprise you if you ever use it. There are so many things that are
      on your system that report back to the "Mother Ship" all the time. I have
      all the Pop-Ups and Aware items blocked, but was surprised when I installed
      ProtoWall and started getting outgoing packets. I thought for sure I was
      safe but now I am not, unless I have ProtoWall running.

      It is completely free along with the companion program Blocklist Manager. BM
      updates from various sources and currently has over 14,000 blocked ranges of
      IP's. I am sure you are all going to say this is for P2P and programs like
      that, but if you install the program, I think you will be very surprised at
      who is sending outgoing packets.

      Anyway if any of you get a chance, try ProtoWall and Blocklist Manager.

      They can be found at: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/phpn2/index1.php

      Hope this helps...

      _____