5336Re: [NTO] Transferring NTP and MB from WIN98se to WINXP

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Apr 7, 2004
      For some reason my posts to this list are not being processed. I am
      now posting them directly to the website. That means that you will
      be getting a second copy of my original post sometime in the next
      thirty days or longer !-(

      This reply was original sent Apr 07 10:16:24 2004 Central Daylight

      Hi Larry,

      At 11:01 AM 4/7/04 -0400, you wrote:
      >Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB
      >I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to
      128 MB,
      >probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much
      >than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip
      to put
      >in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this
      should meet
      >the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think
      >are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be
      >thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important
      >more PCs are being made without floppy drives.
      >I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and
      >Larry Hamilton

      I have three of them. They are called Jump Drives and they use flash
      memory to store information more or less permanently like a CD ROM
      but they are re-writeable like a RAM chip. I really love mine and I
      am all the time swapping files between my Desktop and Laptop
      machines. I also use mine to swap pictures with my Brother when I go
      over to his howse. You can (if you are willing to spend between $300
      and $500 dollars) get one that will hold about 4 Gigabytes. They
      only have two problems that I see. They are expensive so you would
      not use them for long term storage and they are slightly slower than
      RAM to write to.

      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic