5319System Restore - WAS - Re: [NTO] MS Internet Explorer/System Restore

  • Larry Hamilton
    Apr 6, 2004
      I have WinXP Home and it has always had System Restore. It does NOT have MS
      Backup if you have one of the PCs with the basic "restore" CD. You can only
      get it with the full version CD, and install it as an "extra".

      This is one of the many things I do not like about the way MS differentiated
      the Home and Pro versions of XP.

      It is still much better than any Windows 95 or 98 since it rarely crashes
      and is more secure. I just wish XP Pro did not cost as much as a new PC with
      XP Home. This is one more thing that makes Linux so much more appealing.

      I just have a lot of work to do to prepare my wife for the change. Going
      from Windows 95 to Windows XP Home was a big enough change a couple of years
      ago. At least now she is used to having to log in to use the PC. ;-) Most of
      the other programs she uses are covered by Open Office, Mozilla, and several
      email clients. At least I can have her try them in Windows first, since they
      are basically the same in Linux. The big hold up is me finding all the tools
      and utilities to do all the things I do and finding the time to figure them
      out. I know they're out there, and I am slowly building my parallel
      collection. At least I have NoteTab running under Wine! I may even do the
      same with a couple of others.

      Larry Hamilton