4577[NTO] Re: File managers

  • John Zeman
    Jun 4, 2003
      Thought I'd bring this back to the top as about three weeks ago I finally got around to taking a serious look at the Directory Opus file manager. I'd totally forgotten who had mentioned here a few months back until I saw Alec's name on the DOpus support list yesterday.. Three weeks ago I downloaded their 60 day free trial software and two hours later I was back online purchasing Directory Opus. Quite frankly this file manager puts PowerDesk to shame.. I've only found one minor thing I couldn't do with it, and the author answered my email to him saying the feature I requested is part of the next version they are currently working on..

      I can't give you the exact price, it's an Australian product, and in Australian currency it's $105. I won't know for sure until I get my credit card statement but I believe the cost to me in U.S. dollars will be around $70..

      I don't mind paying a fair price for a product that does all that I want, and this file manager does..

      Alec, thanks ever so much for suggesting Directory Opus here..

      John

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
      > DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price bracket,
      > except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good I've stopped
      > checking out any other file managers. It handles the one click filter and
      > one feature that I really like is being able to set up a button on its
      > toolbar (forinstance to execute a compare program like ExamDiff) so that if
      > I select two files in one folder it will compare them (on left click) and if
      > I select two files one on left side and one on right side and right click it
      > will compare them! (This also works for choosing two or more files in
      > different folders and getting them all opened at once by Notetab).
      >
      > It also allowed setting up a [Browsers] button which when clicked will
      > pop-up a list of all my browsers and open whatever file(s) I have selected
      > and open them in the brower I select.
      >
      > btw: there is also a free-browser previously named Windows Commander (it got
      > renamed to Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ because the author didn't
      > have the money to stand up to MSFT when they hassled him about the name
      > "Windows" - maybe if Lindows wins its suit with them he can rename it back
      > ;-) )
      >
      > I never used the Norton File Manager but I believe its supposed to have all
      > (?) of its good points plus some extras. (I'm not sure whether this one has
      > been mentioned in this thread.)
      >

      > Regards ... Alec
      > --

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic