2867Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Ray Shapp
    Mar 6, 2002
      Thanks to all who replied.

      As suggested by Carl Swann, I downloaded the freeware program, My Own
      Backups, and have been experimenting with a relatively new CD-RW drive and a
      1x, 2x, 4x re-writable disk. The MOB program is able to incorporate WinZip
      seamlessly. I'm even considering using a NT clip to invoke MOB to run
      specific backup sets.

      On a second computer which contains an 18-month-old read-only CD drive, I
      can access the previously written files and folders using Win98 Explorer.
      This could be an ideal setup for my needs.

      I'd now like to know whether anyone has first hand experience with an
      external CD-RW drive connected to a PC through the USB port. I'm
      considering buying one for the second PC (mentioned above) to give it RW
      capability. I intend to stick with 1x, 2x, 4x media, therefore, I'd like to
      know whether the I/O speed of an external CD_RW drive would be appreciably
      slower than an internal unit.

      Again, thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ