2617Re: [NTO] Cookies

  • hsavage
    Oct 30, 2001
      Ray Shapp wrote:

      > Hi All:
      >
      > I'm about to upgrade to MS Internet Explorer version 6 which gives enhanced
      > control over cookies. While perusing the Windows\cookies folder, I see a
      > file called index.dat of over 320 kilobytes in length. The cookies,
      > themselves are each only one Kb in length.
      >
      > Is it safe to delete that index file? I see references in it to cookies
      > that I have erased long ago. I'm willing to tolerate the cookies for a
      > little while longer, but I want to reclaim some of the wasted space in the
      > index file
      >
      > Thanks for the help,
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      > Watchung, NJ

      > Ray Shapp wrote:

      > Hi All:
      >
      > I'm about to upgrade to MS Internet Explorer version 6 which gives enhanced
      > control over cookies.
      >
      > Is it safe to delete that index file? I see references in it to cookies
      > that I have erased long ago. I'm willing to tolerate the cookies for a
      > little while longer, but I want to reclaim some of the wasted space in the
      > index file
      >
      > Thanks for the help,
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      > Watchung, NJ

      Hi Ray,

      I have index.dat also. Mine is only 89k. It as if it may be a database of all

      cookies that were downloaded. If deleted it may nullify all your cookies. I

      would install IE6 first and go through the cookie dunking process to see what

      the result is. If there is noticeable change I would move it to a \temp folder

      somewhere to check the effect. Give it a few days after the move before you

      delete it.

      hrs

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic