2114Re: [NTO] OEM Win2k

  • Paul M. King
    May 9, 2001
      At 06:23 PM 5/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >Hello All
      >
      >I know of a damaged Pentium III PC for sale at a very low price. I'm
      >considering buying it just to get the Win2000 operating system CD plus
      >Service Pack 1. I'll scrap the computer and load the operating system onto
      >my computer (also a Pentium III).
      >
      >My questions:
      Ray, I would go slow on this one until you have all the facts.
      I looked into a similar deal in the Compaq line and rejected
      it when it became apparent that interchangeability of software
      was not possible.

      >1.) Is this legal? That is, is it ok to continue to use an Original
      >Equipment Manufacturer's version of Windows 2000 on a computer other than
      >the one the system came on (assuming the original PC is no longer in
      >service)?

      My feeling, if not conviction, is that legality of software ownership
      goes with ownership of the hardware/software package. Policies
      of the manufacturer can, however, make this difficult if not
      impossible.

      >2.) The damaged (and soon to be scrapped PC) is a Dell and my machine is a
      >Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific? I
      >wouldn't mind if the initial splash screen shows the Dell Logo. I'm
      >concerned about operational compatibility of the OS with the rest of my
      >hardware and software, especially Office Professional.

      I can't speak for Dell, but I am in a similar situation with Compaq.
      Their restore disks, which have WIN98 on them, are specifically
      tied to a designated Compaq model and work on no other. For that
      reason, I will never buy another Compaq. (They are are also put
      together in a way which limits expansion.)

      This has nothing to do with performace. The Compaq has worked
      well for me for three years and has been extremely stable with a
      little help from the manuals and self-help websites. I have a model
      loaded with WIN98SE, using the Pentium II chip. It runs at 300mhz
      and has a 8.5gig HD and 64megs of RAM.